Standard Chartered Bank PLC (SCB)
Standard Chartered PLC is a leading international bank, listed on the London, Hong Kong and Mumbai stock exchanges. It has operated for over 150 years in some of the world’s most dynamic markets and earns more than 90 per cent of its income and profits in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. This geographic focus and commitment to developing deep relationships with clients and customers has driven the Bank’s growth in recent years.
The statistics around preventable blindness are quite shocking. Of the 285 million people living with blindness in the world, 90% of cases could have been prevented. Tragically one child goes blind every minute and 60% of these will go on to die within a year. If a father goes blind then it’s not just him who suffers, if he loses his job the whole family will suffer.”
Sir Ranulph Fiennes, ambassador to Seeing Is Believing
It has been a truly memorable evening and yet another landmark year for The Standard Chartered Great City Race with all 6,500 entries being snapped up within 8 weeks of opening. I’m sure I speak for not just our staff members but also every runner here today when I say how proud I am to get behind an event which has the ability to bring the City community together whilst raising money awareness and vital funds for SiB. Through tonight we hope to be able to have an impact on the eyesight of 6,500 children which is a pretty incredible achievement for a 5km run.”
Richard Holmes, CEO Europe at Standard Chartered Bank was running with visually impaired Paralympian and five times gold medal winner Noel Thatcher.
It has been fantastic running with Richard Holmes and involved as a race ambassador for year. for Seeing Is Believing, Small measures can have a really significant impact and the funds raised through this year’s race will help thousands of people. The race is a small distance but makes a really big difference”
Five times gold medal winner Noel Thatcher.
With 1,700 offices in 70 markets, Standard Chartered Bank PLC offers exciting and challenging international career opportunities for around 85,000 staff. It is committed to building a sustainable business over the long term and is trusted worldwide for upholding high standards of corporate governance, social responsibility, environmental protection and employee diversity. The Bank’s heritage and values are expressed in its brand promise, ‘Here for good’.
Henman Communications was brought in by sponsorship agency Capitalize, to assist with the delivery of the PR strategy and sponsorship activation of Standard Chartered Banks Great City Race, which raises awareness for Seeing Is Believing, the sustainability initiative set up by SCB to tackle global avoidable blindness.
About Seeing is Believing (SiB)
Seeing is Believing (SiB) is a major global public-private initiative to help tackle avoidable blindness. It is collaboration between Standard Chartered, the International Agency for Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) (registered charity, No. 1100559) and leading international eye-care NGOs.
Started by Standard Chartered staff in 2003 as a way of celebrating the Bank’s 150th anniversary, Seeing is Believing has raised over US$32 million and impacted over 23 million people to date, including over 2.78 million who have benefited from sight restorations. The programme’s latest commitment will invest a further US$20 million by 2014 to provide comprehensive and sustainable eye care services to 20 million people in impoverished urban areas.
PR & Sponsorship Activation:
- Drafting and distribution of press releases, media alerts and internal communications material
- Leading the media ‘sell in’s’: print, TV & radio broadcast, online and social media
- Client reporting to Global Head of Corporate Affairs at SCB & Head of Marketing for Seeing Is Believing.
- Delivery of the launch event & production of video testimonials
- Briefing suppliers, photographer, video production team
- Press pack creation, key messaging, briefing SCB staff & arranging 1-2-1 interviews
- Social media: content updates on Facebook and twitter
Co-ordination of Standard Chartered Bank hospitality programme on
- HAC site for 900
- Crisis management strategy and plan
- Media monitoring and evaluation
Over 90 pieces of media coverage including: Bloomberg TV, daily national and Sunday newspapers, key sports, charity and running magazines, key online running sites, radio coverage, online media, social media and blogs.
- Metro: official media partner: advertising, competition & data-capture
- Nuffield Pro Active Health: official health club partner
- Adidas: clothing co-sponsor
- London Marathon-rights holder: marketing, runner communications, branding, race goodie bags.
Management of SCGCR brand ambassadors
- Sir Ranulph Fiennes OBE, Noel Thatcher MBE, SCB CEO Europe Richard Holmes, SCB CFO Richard Meddings, David Bedford London Marathon